How to do Sewage Clean up in Backyard Garden Outdoors
Information in this article
Why do sewage overflows occur
What are the health risks
How to clean up outdoor sewage contamination in your garden and yard
Why Do sewage back ups occur
Sometimes the problem is caused by storm water running into sewage systems which is why many sewage overflows happen during summer when there are storms. In the picture on the right you can see the tree root causing damage to both sewer and storm water pipes. This can cause storm water to leak into sewerage infrastructure therefore sewage overflows can occur in gardens and lawns of properties.
What are the health risks?
There are many risks including
- Gastroenteritis (vomiting or diarrhoea)
- Hepatitis and other hepatitis
People can be exposed by hand to mouth contact, skin contact and breathing in organisms.
Outdoor clean up procedures
- Pooling water should be extracted with an extraction machine or waste control vehicle. This water will need to be pumped out into a waste control vehicle and disposed in a approved location. It may be wise to call your local utilities company or council to organize someone to remove the water.
- Hard surface areas should be washed down with disinfectant. A good disinfectant id a 1 % Quaternary Ammonium Compound. Hard surface cleaning can also be completed by a competent restoration contractor with IICRC certification. They typically would use a hard surface pressure cleaner and extraction machine so the waste water is removed from the property after cleaning.
- Storm water drains in the garden may need to be cleaned out using high pressure water.
Clean up of Sewage Damage in Garden
It is important to let the sun do its job in decontaminating affected surface areas. Generally it could take up to 28 hours for the sun to use its ultraviolet rays to assist in destroying pathogens.
Swab Testing After outdoor clean Up
Our process is to swab test hard surface areas after they have been cleaned and treated to ensure there is no contamination left after decontamination. The type of test we use is ecoli swab testing.
If you experience a sewage overflow or backup at your property
If you are unfortunate to have a sewage flood at your domestic or commercial property in Brisbane, Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast. Call us on 1300 356 633. We function as restoration consultants who will keep you informed of the process with your insurance claim. We can be onsite usually within 2 hours to commence the sewage clean up.
We can clean, decontaminate and restore indoor and outdoor sewage damage.